Sunday, October 15, 2017

Broken Ground

When Belle and I bought this place, back in 2004, one of the appealing pints was a big open area next to the house.  We've used that open space for everything.  It's a great place for kids to play, it's a great space to run and tumble.  As the grandkids got older, the open space changed several times, but there have been a lot of frisbees and footballs thrown on that open, empty lot.

But, in the back of my mind, I wanted a shop.  A large, enclosed area to enooy.  Sometimes I considered it a pip-dream.  Recently, though, I was able to realize a windfall, and started talking to contractors.  It appears that my shop will become a reality.  I'm applying for permits and doing it right, but this project is moving forward.

My son and I broke ground on Friday.  Just scraping the grass off, and starting to try to see the contour of the land.  I bought a transit, and we'll be getting accurate elevations soon and as soon as we can complete the pad, I have a trusted concrete firm to come in an lay the slab.


It's going to be a metal building, 40' X 50' (2000 sq ft), all metal construction, with 10 ft eaves.   It will have a 3-on-12 gable roof, with one 12' roll-up and one man door.  I have money in the budget for spray-on closed cell foam insulation and two huge wall-mounted air conditioning units.

We're excited about this, and can't wait to see it move along.

5 comments:

juvat said...

I'm a bit jealous, my 10 X 16 shop is pretty small.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

White roof? Reduces sun-load by about 20% which will make that AC feel that much better.

Old NFO said...

That's great news! :-)

Jonathan H said...

Great! Keep us posted on how it goes.

Ed Jones said...

I hope to build a 30 by 50 next year on my place at our lake. I want a large door on both ends so I never have to back a boat trailer through a 9 foot wide door again.