Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Integrity of the Vote

Who remembers the election of 2000?  You remember, the one where the entire nation was treated to a discussion of hanging chads and shadow dimples in Florida while the nation waited to learn who was going to be our next President?  The election that wound up in the Supreme Court?  Yeah, that one.  I remember it clearly.  I was dating a gal who was a Gore supporter, and I was, of course, a Bush supporter.  She and I broke up in December, and no, it wasn't over the election.  But, that election is fixed in my memory for other reasons.

The next month I met Milady, the love of my life, at a Super Bowl party, and my life changed for the better.  But, I still remember the 2000 presidential election, and all voters should remember it.

I also recall a local race in a small Louisiana parish during the '90s.  It was for a local judgeship as I recall and as the ballots were counted, it became apparent that the votes were absolutely tied.  One vote mattered, but still, the votes were tied.  That election went to the courts as well, and it became clear during the hearings that each the local registrar of voters had been overwhelmed with registrants and had not completely vetted each voter.

Let's shift gears for a minute.  On July 4th, the day before Comey's Disgrace, Townhall published an article entitled You Owe Them Nothing - Not Respect, Not Loyalty, Not Obedience.  This was, of course, the day before Jim Comey went on national television and gave us stark proof that Hillary had violated multiple laws and even starker proof that he had sold his integrity and the integrity of the FBI.  I bookmarked it because I thought that I might use it later, and today is later.
There is one law for them, and another for us. Sanctuary cities? Obama’s immigration orders? If you conservatives can play by the rules and pass your laws, then we liberals will just not enforce them. You don’t get the benefit of the laws you like. We get the benefit of the ones we do, though. Not you. Too bad, rubes.
So if you are still obeying the law when you don’t absolutely have to, when there isn’t some government enforcer with a gun lurking right there to make you, aren’t you kind of a sucker?
Lots of people are in hysterics because Trump has said that he might not accept the results of the election, but I think that he's giving voice to the unspoken masses.  We've seen local elections come down to one or two votes and we know that the presidency isn't a nationwide election, but a series of statewide races.  We also know that thousands of illegal aliens in places like Pennsylvania and Virginia.

If it's close, and the election comes down to hanging chads (or the digital counterpart) in states where lots of aliens are voting, then Trump, and the rest of us, have every reason to not accept the legitimacy of the election.  Because we owe them nothing.  Not loyalty, not respect, not allegiance.

No comments: