Sunday, November 27, 2022

Trending News

 It seems that Alyssa Milano is getting a ration of crap for the tweet she posted about  trading her Tesla for a Volkswagen.  Because she hated Musk.  Or something.

Everyone knows, or should know, the history of the Volkswagen.  It was the People's Car of the late 1930s German government.  You knw, the one that Hitler ran?

That aside, I owned two of them.  The first, I bought off the ad-hoc lot on the parking lot of the PX at Fort Knox.  Paid $500 for it.  Drove it for three years as a work car/hunting car, so my wife could use the family sedan.  When I left Fort Knox, I put it back on that same lot and got my $500 back.

Bought my second one when my elder son  needed a car.  Fixed it up and he drove it to school and work.

The VW Beetle was a great little car.  Nothing fancy, but a lot of fun to drive.

I don't have a problem with Milano learning her history, and I don't have a problem with the VW Beetle.  If I could find a nice example today for $500, I'd probably buy it.

3 comments:

Old NFO said...

You'd have to add a zero to that, and it would truly be a beater... sigh

Well Seasoned Fool said...

Army, circa 1960's, Hanau Germany but not unique, some GI cars had a new owner ever two years or so. The mechanic skills that kept all of them running was a tribute to American can do. So long as they passed a post safety inspection and were insured all was well. Had an English Ford. Bought it for $200 and sold it for a little more.

Koblenz, the oil filter canister started leaking. The gasket was shot. Fabricated one from a beer coaster.

Anonymous said...

My very 1st car was a '67 VW Beetle. Passed down to my Brother and I in late 1970's from Dad who purchased a '76 Rabbit. That Bug did it all, I learned to drive stick and many teenage adventures ensued. Power nothing of course, no A/C but it never failed to get us home from some pretty hairy camping spots. Headlights had power of birthday candles - birds setting on road often just barely survived us passing by. We never wondered if it would leave us stranded and God must take special care of idiots like my Brother and I.

Easy to wrench on, a three legged stool with lid lifted had pretty much everything in your face. Not like today's cars, not by a long shot.