Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Boudin

 Boudin is a south Louisiana thing, a meal in a casing.   Normally a rice mixture, the meat inside can be pork, or beef, or poultry.  Even seafood.  But, normally pork.

Belle sent me to thr grocers this morning.  She wants to make brisket poboys later today and I was sent to get ingredients.  On the way home I had "a craving flung on me", so I stopped at Guillory's Specialty Meats for a bit of boudin. Guillory makes a solid, workman-like boudin.  Not the best I've ever tasted, but certainly a nice boudin.  And, it's just on the way home.

I like to put my boudin on a cookie sheet, or a black iron skillet and run it under the broiler for a few minutes.  Turn it over and run it back under the heat.  This crisps the casing, and it will snap when you bite it.


This works as an appetizer.  Belle had a link or two, I had a link or two, and I suspect that the pup got a taste as well.   We'll make poboys later, but in the meantime, it's boudin as a late breakfast.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sigh... I miss good boudin.

TechieDude said...

Boudin is food of the gods.

Pork is best, and you can't skimp on the dirty bits, like liver, when it's made. Dirty jobs had an episode where he went to a shop and made Boudin and Cracklins.

I'm partial to Don's Specialty meats, in Lafayette or Scott. We stock up on the way back home. https://donsspecialtymeats.com/ - they ship. Don's also as a pork and green onion sausage that'll blow your mind.

You can get some at Cajungrocer.com as well, which I believe is Guidry's. They ship as well.

Here in DFW, what passes for Boudin and Andouille is a sad joke. Packaged crap that's mostly filler.