Sunday, November 27, 2022

Smoked Turkey Gumbo

 We have a smoked turkey every year for Thanksgiving, for two reasons.  First, because everyone expects it and second, because I want a gumbo.  On Friday, I took that turkey carcass and all the leftover bits and put it in a stock pot.  Boiled it for an hour or so to make stock, then took the bits out, peeled the meat from the bones and let the stock cool before I put everything away and cleaned up my mess.

This morning I put that turkey stock and the meaty bits back in that stock pot and put a low fire under it.  Then, I cut up some good smoked sausage, browned it in a skillet, then drained it and that sausage went into the gumbo pot.  I used the drippings from the sausage to make a roux,   Added it to the pot, then sauted some onions and poppers with a little garlic 


It's on a low fire now, bubbling happily.  About 11:00 I will put on a pot of rice.

Gumbo is an inflation fighter.  I already had the leftover turkey, with the onions, peppers and sausage, I figure I have about $10 in that pot, and I'll feed a dozen people at lunch.  That less than a buck a plate.

3 comments:

Bob said...

Being from Louisiana (borne in Alec. and now residing in Baton Rouge) I have also made a pot or two of Gumbo. When you said you was going to saute onions and poppers I started this comment to ask what I have been missing all these years (66) but then it dawned on me it was a typo. I guess i still have some cognitive powers. And I can drive a stick shift,read cursive, analog clock,and can still use a rotary phone so I guess I have a little time before going to the rest home.

Judy said...

Third reason for smoked turkey; it tastes better. I haven't baked a turkey since I discovered smoked turkey and I like deep-fried ones too.

Anonymous said...

A man that can feed his family and friends is truly blessed!