Sunday, December 27, 2020

Lodge Steel

 A bunch of the family went out last night to try a new restaurant.  It's a pizza/Italian joint in a new shopping center.


That's me down at the end of the table, Belle to my left.  She and I both ordered an Alfredo dish with  penne pasta.  Tasty, but they served it in a steel skillet,  which I thought was a bit gauche, but I enoyed the pasta nonetheless.  But, I had to inspect the skillet, which seemed very well built, and I noticed a Lodge logo on the handle.  Lodge?  Sure enough, Lodge makes a carbon steel skillet?  Sure enough.

I've used Lodge cast iron for years, I have several pieces in my collection, but I never knew that they made carbon steel cookware.  The one I ate from last night certainly looked well made.  It might be worth ordering one after the holidays and giving it a good going-over.

5 comments:

Owen Family at Far Better Farmstead said...

I have had one for 3 or 4 years. It seasons out just like cast iron and I use it for plate-size omellettes as it never sticks. Be sure to get the silicone thingy that slips over the handle then it never needs a pot holder. Great skillet!

Old NFO said...

Great looking family, and looks like y'all had fun!

Whatever said...

Picture caption - a bunch of overweight inbred idiots that don’t understand COVID. You are the problem.

TechieDude said...

I have a de Buyer carbon steel skillet. It works reasonably well but has an issue keeping it's seasoning. I'm sure I didn't clean it or heat it hard enough originally.

All it takes is the wife to lay a spoon from whatever she's cooking in it and it'll be clear down to the metal. Not at all like my cast iron.

The only thing I haven't tried so far is to introduce it to my crawfish boiler flame. Maybe it'll burn off whatever may be on the thing.

So my suggestion is get one pre-seasoned to start.

Sport Pilot said...

I like the lodge steel skillet and own three different sized ones. I use them a lot and now reserve the cast iron skillets for cornbread.

The steel skillets hold their seasoning and have a smoother pan surface than the lodge cast iron ones.