Friday, January 06, 2023

The Whip

 I bet that both the Democratic Whip and the Republican Whip are busy critters this morning.

Insty reports that the Democrat members have to ask permission to leave the floor during a vote.

Louisiana's very own Steve Scalise is the Republican Whip.  I can't imagine the conversations that he has been having lately with Kevin McCarthy.  Twenty holdouts who refuse to move in lockstep with the rest of the caucus.  Some are pissed off personally at McCarthy, some are asking for change that they don't feel McCarthy can offer.  It's hard to run roughshod over a fellow one day and expect for him to support you later.  That takes a delicate political touch, and I don't think at this point that McCarthy has that ability.

I get it.  There are people I will never vote for.  McCarthy is going through a rough time right now, and I suspect it is of his own making.  These decisions are not made in a vacuum, and the longer it goes on, the greater the change that McCarthy will have to make.  Both compromise and conciliation requires time, and trust.  The conciliation should have been done a long time ago.

No comments: