Wednesday, January 25, 2023

That Axios Truck Article

 So, Axios wrote an article on pickup trucks.  Big, heavy, fuel burners.  Like that is a bad thing.

I've been driving trucks since I started driving.  Normally, the wife would drive the family sled, and I would drive the truck. For a time I was in the cattle business, and we abslutely needed a truck, for towing trailers, for hauling feed, for hauling fuel.

The Axios article complains that folks who drive trucks don't normally use then for truck things, like hauling or towing.  They are normally used for commuting or running errands.

With jumbo trucks, you’d think people were hauling and towing more than ever — not so. Survey data from vehicle research firm Strategic Vision shows a third of today’s pickup owners rarely or never use their truck for hauling, while two thirds rarely or never use it for towing. So what are people using their trucks for? Shopping, errands, commuting and Sunday drives.

Uuuh, yeah.  If I need the truck once a week for towing or hauling, then those other days I"m running errands, shopping, or commuting. Even in my cattle-business days, most of the hours I spent in that truck were not related to the business.  Such is the nature of owning a pickup truck.  

I still own a tuck, but I am fortunate that I also own other vehicles and the truck is only used when I need a truck.  I keep the battery hot and the oil changed.  I don't need it today, but I might need it tomorrow.


5 comments:

Glypto Dropem said...

The amount of times I need the carrying capabilities of my truck is no one's business but mine. Even if not loaded fully, carrying 50 pound bags of feed are much easier to unload from a truck bed than a car trunk. Mine seats 5 adults comfortably, so when it is more than just my wife and I, we use the truck. Her little RAV-4 is set up for dog events, so one passenger and the driver is all that fits.

And people wonder why I am so willing to kill Commies?

Anonymous said...

on my third tacoma...love it...you sit a little higher, can see the road...if you need to tow or haul something you have it...if you don't drive 90 everywhere they get decent fuel mileage...and if i need to get to work in the winter, it's 4 wheel drive...

Old NFO said...

Trying to drive us to 4 seat EVs... Grrr...

Anonymous said...

Trucks are one of those things that when you need them, you really need them.
I've seen articles and perspectives for years that push to move people away from trucks and SUVS.
The suthors almost universally assume you ran rent a suitable vehicle when you need it, which in my experience is a bad assumption.
Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Maybe if the government hadn't regulated passenger cars into near uselessness, people would still be driving them instead of trucks.