Tuesday, January 03, 2023

The Speaker

 Well, Kevin didn't make it on the first ballot.

Until we have a Speaker, gridlock ensues, and chaos becomes inevitable.

It is interesting to watch. What I think is interesting is that the Speaker administers the oath to the other member of the House, and until there is a Speaker, no one is sworn in.  They are all Representative-elect until the Speaker gets the gavel.

At this point, Kevin doesn't have the votes.  I think that he knew that going in, so what is the endgame? If he can't get the votes, why is he in the race?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like sausage being made, its best if you don't see some things in life.

Jonathan H said...

Good! I hope he doesn't get it; he wouldn't do what is needed.
I find it interesting that now the majority party chooses the speaker; it used to be that the whole House did and at times the speaker wasn't from the majority party.
I wonder if he is waiting for an opportunity to get Dems votes? I'm sure they'd vote for a weak speaker over a strong one if they get the chance...