Monday, January 18, 2021

Stuck Cartridge

 Second son called me today.  He had a cartridge stuck in the chamber of his Ruger M77.  I told him I wasn't busy, to bring it by.

Several drops of Breakfree CLP down the bore and let it sit for a few minutes.  Then used a cleaning rod to slide-hammer it out.  Not hard, just dropping the rod down the bore.  After a few whacks, it came out, easy-peasy.  After the cartridge turned loose, we gave the chamber a good scrubbing, then cleaned the bore for good measure.

Sometimes a bit of grit gets stuck between the chamber wall and the brass, and ties things up.  That's done and the rigle is back in service.  Now, to get on with my other chores.


2 comments:

Stuart said...

I had a similar thing happen with my 1911 .45acp. Click - no bang. I was able, with much force, to cycle the slide and eject the case. There had been no powder in the case but the primer alone was strong enough to expand the case and shove the bullet into the bore. Because the case sealed the chamber, there was no sound but the hammer falling. If I had simply cycled a fresh round in...
There is a lesson there boys & girls. Always check the bore.

TechieDude said...

My son had that happen with an AR10 he bought from my brother-in-law's estate.

After a few rounds, one stuck. No way to get it out.

So we brought it to the gun store. Dude said they were really backed up and a man short, maybe 3 weeks. But then he decided to take a look.

You could hear the tink-tink-tink of him tapping the bullet out.

He comes back with the gun and the round and says "This is a match grade weapon. NO RUSSIAN AMMO!"

The steel cased ammo stuck. Turns out this is a common thing with this ammo as the gun heats up.