Friday, January 22, 2021

Bigfoot Hunting Season

 A legislator in Oklahoma has proposed a Bigfoot hunting season.  Yeah, really.

What I think is hilarious is the response form the OK Wildlife dudes.

Micah Holmes, a spokesman for the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation, which oversees hunting in Oklahoma, told television station KOCO that the agency uses science-driven research and doesn’t recognize Bigfoot.

Well, okay.  Let's talk about that.

Back in the early '80s I saw a panther on my place and talked with a wildlife guy about it. 

"What do you mean by panther?", he asked.

?Big cat, about six feet long, chocolate brown.  Long tail.  I saw it out behind my pond last week, just abut sundown.", I replied.

He looked at me calmly.  "There are no panthers in the state of Louisiana."

"Yeah, okay." I responded.  "So, if there are no panthers then it wouldn't hurt if I popped him.?"

I never shot that panther and saw or heard him for several years after that.  The last time was early in 2002.  So, I know that there was a breeding pair in the Wildlife Management Area behind the house. 

The Oklahoma Wildlife dude's rejection of the idea, virtually assures me that Bigfooot is alive an well in Oklahoma.

6 comments:

Bradley said...

Way back in the day another state fish and game swore up and down that there were no wild boars in that state, and the local fish and game told me to stop bringing by the ones I had shot, that you could tell were wild boars, IIRC they looked like a mix of Cent Euro pigs and Black Slavonian. Big nasty and very aggressive. But Fish and Game knows all.

robert said...

Sadly arrogance seems to go hand in hand with a gubmint job now-a-days. The wife and I were in the valley roasting hotdogs one day when suddenly from the woods some a$$hat starts spraying .22's all around us . I hollered a brief profanity and he stopped . I could hear him retreating through the brush so I headed him off at the road . When he popped out of the woods I grabbed him by the shirt and explained the rules here on my farm . He was a big fat guy but soft and weak . After he left he came back with the game warden in tow . He told me the guy was one of his informants and he could go where ever he liked including my farm . I explained the rules to him and he got mad and left . He beat up his wife badly the next week and had to go on mental health leave . Typical gubmint employee here in the Buckeye . PS: I carry everyday and can probably draw as quick as Pawpaw . P90 Ruger .45 . Old school . Don't like 9mm . Desert Eagle .357 for formal occasions in a shoulder rig .

Old NFO said...

Snerk... Gotta have SOME fun every once in a while!

Old NFO said...

OBTW, talking about panthers, my dad killed one at the pumping station at Trout in 1957.

Retired cop said...

If Game & Fish admits an animal (cougar/panther in my case) exists in their state they will be expected to have a management plan for it.
No extra budget and it always costs more to ferret out hidden critters.

prairie gopher said...

same thing happened to my dad on our farm in southern Ontario Canada. it is near niagara falls. Huge tracks in mud by pond. Dad called the ministry of natural resources wildlife (game warden) guy to come take a look. yep it is a cougar but do not tell anyone or you will have a bunch of idiots all over your farm trying to shoot it. It was around for at least 5 years. Only my brothers and I were told.