Wednesday, January 06, 2021

Random Notes on Wednesday

 I understand that there was a mostly peaceful protest in Washington DC today.  For the record, I abhor political violence in every form and hope that those people who turned violent are identified and prosecuted.  However, I note, also for the record, that the drive-by media seems to be focusing on this bit of mostly peaceful protest with much more vigor than they covered the mostly peaceful protest this summer.

The weather weenies tell me that we're going to get a bit of rain, starting in an hour of so.  In anticipation of this precipitation, I have come inside, poured myself a drink, and will remain sheltered for the evening.

That problem with the truck turned out to be the starter.   If I ever met a Ford engineer, I intend to revile him for putting bolts in places where they are not readily visible, especially on such components as a starter or alternator.  It's almost as if they take some sadistic pride in hiding connectors.  It's utter bullshit, and they should be denigrated for such mischief.

The starter is finally out, many thanks to You Tube guys who like to shade-tree wrench on their vehicles.  Whatever else the ills of social media, YouTube provides a valuable service in this limited regard.

2 comments:

dogsledder said...

I agree that the Ford engineers should be disintegrated, but for a different reason- the spark plugs on the 5.4 4 valve V-8.

TechieDude said...

I can't tell you how many times I've cussed that the first time I see a GM engineer I'd kick him in the nuts. With my luck, it'll be the second assistant headlight bezel engineer who had nothing to do with the pain I had to endure.

The thing is they don't think, nor do the communicate. The engine is designed to be easy to assemble, then bolted on the chassis, with the truck being placed around it.

Every time I've had to work on an american car, I wonder what the hell they were thinking. With a Jap car, like a Toyota, it's easy. The engineer knew one day this part would wear out, or have to be maintained. How do I design it to be easy to do? Then they get together and do it. It took me an hour and a half to replace the struts on my forerunner. It took three hours, with greasy, bleeding hands to change a fuel pump on my old chevy van.

I had a 2001 Deville at one point that I had to change the water pump. There were 37 bolts, nuts, and screws, all a mix of sizes and metric/sae. The thing had a hose fitting to a tiny bit of hose to connect it to the back of the block - under the exhaust manifold.

Halfway through I was ready to set the sonofabitch on fire and roll it down the street like a viking funeral.