Sunday, January 03, 2021

Reflections on Fridays

 Somebody was asking me the other day if I liked retirement.  And, I do, just for the record.  Then they asked me if I missed going to work, and I don't.  I miss some of the people, but I keep in touch as much as a global pandemic will let me.

But, on reflection, I miss Fridays.

I remember as a child, the feeling I got on Friday afternoon and the whole weekend opened in front of me.  And, in great part of my working career, Friday meant something.  Saturday to do my chores, or to hunt of fish, with Sunday reserved for church and family.  The enjoyment of going to work on Friday morning and discussing weekend plans with co-workers.  I don't get that any more.

My week is basically, Sunday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, Saturday.  Then back to Sunday.

Belle still works, and enjoys her job.  She works four days a week, off every Friday, so that keeps me grounded on the basis of her work-week.  But, I do miss the feeling of the last few minutes of a Friday work day, knowing that I was heading home to family and a well-planned weekend.

I have lots of Saturdays, but no Fridays.  I need to try and recapture that.

2 comments:

robert said...

I remember when my employer went to instant electronic payroll deposit . On Thursday morning at 10am every week . Harshed my mellow for years . No check to take to the bank or bar to cash and no feeling of "yay,it's Friday" . Some things that are sacred have been lost in this modern electronic world !

Contrarian View said...

I started working full-time on our homestead about a year ago. We've been here for about a year, and it still has a long way to go before feeding us, much less turning a profit. There is so much to do, every day is Monday.