Tuesday, September 03, 2019

Jameson

Wandering through Sam's Club today, I happened upon the liquor aisle, and looked at a bottle of Jameson Irish Whiskey.  I've never sampled Irish whiskey, but I know that Jameson is supposed to be the gateway to the type.  At 40% ABV, it's not an especially strong whiskey.  While I do drink 80 proof, I prefer something with a bit more heft.  Still, I dropped it in the buggy and took it to the checkout.

The bottle I brought home was the big one, not the 750 ml, and I reckon that if I don't like it, I can always serve it with ginger ale.  But, getting home, I poured a wee dram into a glencairn.  Light and sweet on the nose, I detected a hint of sweet-bread cookie.  It stayed light on the tongue and went down easily.  Not at all complex, but very friendly.  Very nice indeed.  I've heard that folks like it with ginger ale, and I can imagine that it would be almost effortless.

It's not nearly as complex as some of the bourbons I keep in the cabinet, but it doesn't rough-you-up like some of those bourbons do.  I wonder why I wanted so long to pic up a bottle?

No comments: