Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Inundation

 It's been raining for what seems to be a week.  We are inundated.  Luckily, I live on the side of a big ridge, so it runs off fairly quickly.  The ditches are full, but that won't last forever.

We have trash bins in this neighborhood.  Lots of places use them, and I'm sure that they are fairly standard across the US.


That's mine, close, with the neighbors across the street.  Fairly standard.  The garbage men pick up our trash on Mondays at daylight.  And, invariably, the leave the lid open.  No big deal.  his morning I went out to drop a bag of trash, and found over a foot of rainwater in the bottom of the bin.  So, I can say with some certainty that we've gotten a foot of rain the past 48 hours.

1 comment:

Oscar said...

"So, I can say with some certainty that we've gotten a foot of rain the past 48 hours."

Uh, no.

Look at your picture of the can - the top section is considerably larger than the bottom so whatever rain is captured by the larger open top will necessarily be concentrated by the smaller bottom resulting in deeper water (think "funnel"). I'd be curious what the delta is for area between the open top and the bottom, and I'd hazard a guess that about 1:.67 would be a pretty close ratio, so, maybe, 8". Which is still a lot, but not a foot.