Thursday, August 11, 2022

Hinge Point

 Tim Alberta writes a piece at The Atlantic, where he makes the case that the FBI's raid on Mar-A-Lago may be a hinge point in American politics.  I know that Tim is a leftist for several reasons.  Once, he writes for The Atlantic.  Two, he wrote this sentence.

So why did I feel nauseous yesterday, watching coverage of the FBI executing a search warrant at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate?

Because this country is tracking toward a scale of political violence not seen since the Civil War.

He's wrong.  We aren't there et. No one wants political violence.  What we want is even-handed justice.  Equal protection under the law.  A one-tiered system of justice, where the law is enforced without passion of prejudice, regardless of political affiliation.  What we are perceiving is a two-tiered system.

What we see is a two tiered system, where the director of the FBI can lay out a pima-facie case against Hillary Clinton for mishandling secure communications, then blithely say that no one will prosecute her for it.  What we are seeing is a system where the President's son can commit multiple felonies and continue his self-destructive ways without consequence.

What we see is an FBI that has lost the trust of the American people.  I see a federal system that is willing to harass political opponents.  What we see is an IRS that is out of control, about to hire tens of thousands of new enforcement agents to eat out our sustenance.

If the FBI wants to regain the trust of the American people, it needs to start at the bottom.  Good, honest cops who say NO to the political appointees, who reform the agency from the bottom up.  It can be done.  I've seen it done in local agencies, but it takes courage.  Right now I'm not convinced that anyone in the agency has that courage.

I was a cop for 37 years and I've seen it done.  So, to all the rank-and-file FBI agents who want to relaim their honor, it's time to stand up  Shoot me an email and I'll try to help.  If you are aware of corruption at any level, it's time to speak up.  If you don't, then you have no honor.

8 comments:

Titan Mk6B said...

My comment on the new IRS agents. It truly amazes me that they are touting this like it is a great achievement and we should be happy about it.

Obviously, they do not know me very well.

Joe Jackson said...

Well played Brother...

https://theviewfromladylake.blogspot.com

kamas716 said...

Personally, I've never seen it happen from the bottom up. I've been a dispatcher for 24+ years. My FiL was in LE for 20+ years, the last decade as Chief. My grandfather was in LE for 23+ years, the 11 as sheriff. I've only ever seen it start with the people doing the hiring, which is at the top. I suppose in larger departments it could start in the middle management area.

Termite said...

Someone didn't read the memo not to do something stupid, and wait for November

https://www.newser.com/story/324087/gunman-tries-to-breach-fbi-facility.html

Old NFO said...

Interesting idea, but I don't believe people are willing to stick their necks out today.

Anonymous said...

Then there are those that stand-up, only to get stomped down. That's why I'm an ex-.

Anonymous said...

Agreed RE: No honor. There was a time you could shrug and mumble something about your pension, but that day is long passed.

PoppaGary said...

I get tired of hearing about the "good" agents in the field who are not part of the problem.
Who is carrying out these warrants?
Who raided Roger Stone's house?
Who shackled Manafort?
Who is not standing up En masse to protest what the 7th floor does?
Who are not lined up outside of the offices of the IG, Senators, Representatives, or news agencies to call BS on these actions?
It is the frigging field agents!
If they were good and noble, the same as half of the medical field, and stood up to corruption, we would not be here!