Monday, August 08, 2022

The Bombing

 In these early days of august, I'm seeing commentary on the final days of World War II, concerning the moral and military necessity of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that hastened the end of the war.

Hiroshima was bombed on August 5th.  Nagasaki on August 9th.  We generally consider VJ day as August 15th.

It is my opinion that the decision tree that led to the use of atomic weapons has to be viewed through the lens of the history that existed on the ground at that time.  The world was certainly awakened to the horror of nuclear war.  Just as the world was awakened to the horrors of fire-bombing major cities.  There is a lot of horror in war.

I do know that I had two uncles in the Pacific who were mightily relived when the Japanese surrendered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a newspaper printed by the transport ship my father was on sailing from the Philippines to Japan. He was in the 33rd Inf Div and set to be in the first wave onshore. The paper states 90% casualties were expected for that first wave.

Deacon