Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Racism In The Modern Era

I'm tired of being called a racist by people that don't know me.  Really, it's lost its sting.

Apparently, because I voted for Donald Trump, I'm now a racist, a sexist, homophobic, and a misogynist. Well, okay then.

There is no way to respond except to declare that I'm not.  And to declare that those who think me to be those things are woefully mistaken.  Francis Turner makes the argument much more eloquently than I could.
Bluntly when you’ve been called a bigot by the media and the left and you know you aren’t one, the chances are pretty high that you’ll discount the claims that others are the same. Especially when the same people also make the same false claims again and again. The activist who cried “racist” is meeting the same result as the boy who cried “wolf”.
And that's a fact. While I admit that Donald Trump has his faults, in my opinion his faults pale in comparison to his opponent's faults.  In fact, one could make the argument that if you voted for Hillary Clinton, you decided that extreme carelessness with national security matters, and endemic corruption on a global scale were not a deal-breaker.  If you've voted for Hillary Clinton you have decided that the rule of law only applies to lesser mortals and that the elite are immune from ethical and legal concerns.

But, I'm not going to make that argument.  My liberal friends don't deserve that argument.  What my liberal friends need to understand is that the election is over, and the angst and anguish they are feeling are part of a normal greiving process.  I myself felt it in 2008 and 2012.  Not because I was a racist, birther, but because I believed that everything he wanted to do for America was utterly wrong.

I'm willing to listen to arguments based on fact, logic, and reasoning.  I'm not willing to be called names.  Being called names is both repulsive and counter-productive.  After almost a year of name-calling, and losing the argument, perhaps my liberal friends are learning that lesson.

We can only hope so.

1 comment:

Titan Mk6B said...

It's hard to be bothered by someone of which you do not care about what they think or say.

I like to say that you cannot offend me.

So, let them cry and moan about their loss and just ignore the rest.