Monday, September 22, 2008

Washing machine repair

Washing machines are magical, okay? I know they're machines and I'm pretty handy with machines but I don't like working on them. We own a Kenmore 70 series direct drive washing machine and it had a small leak. I turned it over on its back and it looked to me like the discharge pump was leaking.

Today I went to Appliance Parts, a local outfit and asked them. The counter guy went over to the parts bin and took out a pump. The general consensus of everybody present was that if the machine is leaking, the discharge pump is the culprit. I asked if I needed to take off the cabinet and another guy at the counter, an actual appliance repairman, said that he always takes the cabinet off, but there's enough room to make the repair without removing it. He takes it off because he knows how and it makes everything easier to see. Fifty bucks later I was out the door.

I got home and put the machine on its back. Fifteen minutes later I was done. Two clips hold the pump to the shaft. Two hose clamps hold the hoses to the pump. It literally took longer to get out the tools than it did to change the part.

That was entirely too easy and we're washing a load of clothes now to see if I've stopped the leak.

**UPDATE** Yeah, it was too easy. As soon as I typed the above paragraph, I went into the laundry room and saw a small puddle of water on the floor. I drained the machine (I thought!) and tilted it back. I saw a few drips of water near the lower hose clamp and loosened it so that I could make sure it was aligned and re-tighten it. The hose came off and about three gallons of water hit me in the face.

That was pleasant. We have a three gallon mop bucket and I filled it from the spill. The floor in the laundry room has been thoroughly mopped. I re-seated the hoses and made sure they are tight. It looks to be holding.

There is never anything easy when you're working with appliances. On the plus side, the floor under the washing machine is sparkly clean.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Did you buy it from Sears? ;)

Anonymous said...

This is the reason I liked the "old" Sears. *Every* appliance came with a maintainence manual, showing an exploded parts diagram, and a troubleshooting script. You could fix it yourself.

Now, it's "No user serviceable components inside" and they actively try to prevent you from going inside with "Security" screws, etc.

Steve