Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Getting Ready

 With cold weather imminent, I decided yesterday to get some propane bottles filled.  Standard, 25 lb bottles.  I took them down to the local feed-and-seed  Filling four bottles cost me $91 and change.  Last year, it was $56 and change.

This morning I was at Wally-World and passed through the camping section to pick up some small 1 lb bottles. $9.87 for a two-pack.

I can see that heating the shop is going to be expensive this winter, and I'll have to pick up one of those adapters to refill the small bottles.  Belle likes a small Mr. Heater down by her feet when we're in the shop.  It runs on 1 lb bottles, and I may have to get an adapter to run it off one of the big bottles.  But, I hear from others that the Mr. Heater really doesn't like to run off the big bottles.  Something about the hose degrading and getting trash in the heater that clogs up the works.

5 comments:

Dennis Sullivan said...

I have the same little heater. I bought an inline filter, about $20. Keeps everything filtered & clean. The heater mfg. recommends it's use for one of the larger bottles with a hose. It lasts one year of "normal" use. Whatever that is.

Anonymous said...

damn, a 2 pack of those are almost $10 now?...

Old NFO said...

Thanks for the reminder... I need to go get a couple myself.

Anonymous said...

We use the big bottles on out mr. heaters but we use a filter/regulator. Paid 12.00 for a new one yesterday at tractor supply lowes also has them. Eliminates the trash issue.

Jonathan H said...

I've noticed that prices for filling the big bottles varies wildly, as does bulk propane price.
Last week I filled the tank for our furnace for $2.59 a gallon with no fees; one of the other propane companies in the area is charging $5 a gallon plus fees. I'm not sure why anybody deals with them; I have in the past and got rid of them as soon as possible.