Thursday, July 30, 2015

Hot, Just Darn It's Hot.

It's hot out there, just darn it's hot.  Accuweather says it's 98F out there right now, climbing toward 100.  With over 50% humidity, it's darned hot.

That's not unseasonable for this time of year, and I'm sure that we'll have hotter days in August and September, but I decided about an hour ago to put my hat on, and practice my draw for Cowboy Shooting.

Looking at photos, I'm doing it all wrong, so taking some advise from Gentleman George, I'm re-vamping my draw.  I'm extending my arm too much, relying on the years of experience that I've gotten from law enforcement training, which is all wrong for this game.  What I'm looking for now is index points, so that when I hit that index I can lock, fire, and be reasonably certain of hitting the target.

So, I'm slowing down, trying things and seeing what works.  What I'm doing now isn't working, so I have to make some adjustments.  I think I'm on the right track.

Rather than talk about me, let's see one last video from Odessa, where Milady is matched against a gal from Texas, Marshals Daughter.  In this round, she gave Calamity her final X to put her out of the match.  This match happened just before the shoot-off for 11th place.



Marshals Daughter was knocked out in the next round, and went on to claim 10th place in the overall ladies competition.  Congratulations to her. She's a fine competitor, and like everyone else in the organization, she's a joy to be around, both on the line, and chatting in the stands.

It's more fun watching ladies shoot than listening to PawPaw talk about practice.

2 comments:

Old Grafton said...

Hot here in Ohio, too. You could fry an egg on an ice cube..... Your and your Lady's shootin' is an inspiration! Keep up the good work!

Old NFO said...

She's doing dang good for a first major competition! And an armed society is a polite society! :-)