Saturday, July 11, 2015

That Was the Week That Was

That was the week that was, it's over let it go.
Old-Timers like me remember that jingle as the lead-in for a comedy show back in the '60's that spoofed the weekly news.  And this week is surely deserving of spoofing.

 They took down the flag in Columbia this week, a piece of cloth that symbolized the Confederacy, that racist, despicable torment that our country endured in the 1860s and for which no apology is acceptable.  We live in the shame of the sins of our forefathers.  Not content with retiring the flag, they continued on the activities and even took down that racist flagpole.  That should do it.  Racism is now officially solved in the South.

I'm reminded of an anthen sung by Joan Baez, released in 1971.  Joan was a hippy chick, large in the civil right movement, agitated against the Vietnam war, got involved in politics, Her signature song in 1971 was a song first recorded by The Band in 1969, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.

This ballad became an anthem of the early 1980s, and I remember it on every jukebox in every honky-tonk I wandered into during my early adult years.



I guess that makes Joan a racist, too.  Oh, well, she's in good company.

That was the week that was, it's over let it go.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Ironically, I was in Columbia this last week, getting my house ready to sell. Coming back on the airplane today, were two activists, sitting across the aisle cawing about how 'they' had forced SC's hand and plotting their next attack on our freedoms. I'm GLAD the flight was only an hour, any more of that and I'd be calling y'all for bail money!