Friday, July 17, 2015

Robert Burns

Robert Burns, a famous Scot poet of the 18th century said, in is ode to a mouse;
The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
Gang aft agley, 
Or, in common English, the best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry.   It 's a quote I use often, and generally take comfort from the idea that it is a common symptom of the human condition.

Or, as Murphy, a 20th century military philosopher sometimes said; No plan survives the first contact, intact.

I'd like to think that I've learned those lessons by now, but life tends to reinforce those lessons, sometimes on a daily basis.

I'm not bitching, I'm just saying.  It's been one of those days.

The upside is that my lady should be home before long, and we can commence the weekend.

4 comments:

Goatwhiskers said...

Everything will OK tomorrow. Too darn late to worry about it today anyway. GW

Old NFO said...

You're the THIRD person to say that today...

Old Grafton said...

I'm guessing that whatever "gang agley" is survivable but commiserations anyway.

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

The only people who don't stub their toes are the folks who are not moving forward.

You will heal. And you will be better for it.

Pawpaw, you are one of my heroes.