Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Winter Solstice

 Today is the winter solstice.  No, it's not the shortest day of the year.  We still get 24 full hours.  But, due to the magic of physics and planetary orbital mechanics, we turn the corner, and the daylight hours start getting longer tomorrow. 

It's also my half-anniversary.  Belle and I were married on the summer solstice.  And, no, not out of any weird Druid predilection. She was a practicing RN and I was a street cop.  That year our work schedules combined so that we were both off on a particular Saturday.  Just another coincidence of life.

More particularly, today is the first day of Winter.  And, if you look at the weather map, you'll see that there is a big winter storm moving across the US to punctuate the idea of winter.

I feel like it's time to make a gumbo.  So, if you will excuse me...

3 comments:

DaveS said...

5 hours and 26 minutes from sun up to sundown up in this neck of the woods.
Looking forward to longer days and the sun climbing higher in the sky. It’s so low in the sky these days that it doesn’t even get high enough to shine on the house. But I should be seeing sunshine through the windows in another two or three weeks.

juvat said...

PP,
I want to try that gumbo recipe. It's just the Mrs and I. How many servings does that make?

Old NFO said...

Yep, gonna get COLD tomorrow... sigh