Friday, December 23, 2022

What Manner of Bullshit

 What manner of bullshit is this?

The Army, Navy, and Coast Guard effectively de-emphasize gender in an integrated environment,” the academic report from the University of Pittsburgh says. “Instead of saying ‘ma’am’ or ‘sir,’ recruits in these Services refer to their drill instructors using their ranks or roles followed by their last names. Gendered identifiers prime recruits to think about or visually search for a drill instructor’s gender first, before their rank or role."

I admit that when I was a recruit, I addressed my drill instructors as "Drill Sergeant" and any officer as "Sir".  Female officers would be addressed as "Ma'am"" but like unicorns I didn't actually see a female officer until long after I myself was commissioned.

When I ran a training company, I still referred to my Drill Sergeants as such.  They had earned the right to wear the hat, and deserved that modicum of respect.  But, I would never allow a junior enlisted person to address me as any way but Sir. I seldom worried about that because my NCOs maintained a level of discipline that brooked no such nonsense.

Perhaps it is good that I am long since retired.  I doubt I could stand the level of bullshit that exists today in my Army.

3 comments:

juvat said...

PP,
That last sentence, I'd only change one word. The last...to "military".

Termite said...

How about the Marines quit using "Yes, Sir" or "Yes, Ma'am" to the Drill Instructors, and instead use "Yes, Drill Sargent".

Old NFO said...

Agreed... sigh