Friday, December 16, 2022

Landmarks

 Every community has them.  SIlly little landmarks that remain for decades.

My Dad bought some land in Deville, LA during the late 80s.Going out to the property we noticed a local landmark near the property, a lawn chair hung in a tree, near the road.  Probably blown up there during a wind storm, it has remained for at least three decades.

I stopped this morning on the way out and took a photo.  For posterity.


I don't know how long it will continue to be there, but it was there an hour ago.

Does your community have any weird little landmarks?

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Sadly most of the ones I remember as a kid are now gone...

Jonathan H said...

It is gone now, but for many years this town had an old Shell sign with the S out. At one point it was the subject of an unflattering national news article.

Birdchaser said...

I grew up & worked most of my life around Charleston SC & Edisto Island, we had a tree in the marsh beside the road on the way to Edisto that is called the Bra Tree. Not sure how it got started but I did have the pleasure of helping a few girls dress the tree over the years. I believe it's still being dressed.

Anonymous said...

I like the directions you get from locals: "turn right at the Grassleys barn and go about a mile..." buddy, I just moved here, I dunno the Grassleys or their barn?!

BobF said...

Anon: Yep. 'Bout as helpful to a newcomer as "Turn left where the old filling station used to be." As one who had 23 addresses in a full military career we as a family heard a LOT of that kind of helpful directions, especially in smaller towns away from the base. Most folks were genuinely wonderful, however.