Thursday, December 15, 2022

Plundering Around

 Belle and I were plundering around in the backwoods of Deville, LA this morning.  Doing maintenance on some family property, checking systems, and getting it ready for winter.  At lunch, we decided to go to AWs Drive In, an old standby lunch spot in the woods of northeast Rapides Parish.

AW's has been around since forever.  I recall when I was in high school, think 1969, the place was an old standby then.  Just a little drive=in out in the country, serving fast food, drinks, and shakes.  These days it is under different management, AW himself being long retired, but the crew soldier on, feeding the county folks who need vittles.  They have a Facebook page.

Belle opted for the standard hamburger basket, while I went with the steak burger.


The new management seems to be carrying on just fine.  Belle said that her burger was tasty, and my steak sandwich filled an empty spot.  Our ticket came to a single $20 bill.

It's not that I'm advertising AWS as much as calling attention to the little out-of-the-way places that do yeoman's work every day feeding people.  These little joints are all over the country, and we need to support them.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agreed with supporting the little guys. We recently had a small burger joint in our town close its doors for good. Mega Chicken sold hamburgers, fried chicken and fish for a very long time. The owner I guess just decided he had enough. Whataburger, Long John Silver, and Burger King were less than a mile from his 6 table storefront joint.

Old NFO said...

That we do. We have a 'rotation' of places we eat for just that reason!

BobF said...

Little place nearby rather like that one; predates my moving here. Serves a tenderloin sandwich to die for. Was there the day they were erasing parts of the large whiteboard menu on the wall as they changed from cash-only to accepting credit cards. They were changing all the prices.

That was maybe 10 years ago. Held out as long as they could. Can't blame them for the move. Now they have a backlit board where you change the letters on the rails for the menu.

Anonymous said...

Amen to that!
Why spend 10-12 bucks on a combo soyburger meal with supersize fries and a cornsyrup cocktail? Guarantee theres more 'food'on the blue plate special down at the greasy spoon.

Anonymous said...

My first job was as a carhop for a AW Root Beer stand 2 miles from home. I was 13 at the time. Walked to and from and showed up on time. Got my first paycheck and there was $0.13 taken out for SS. Owner was super sweet and he explained every deduction and when he went to explain SS I was outraged at the idea of 65. I would never get that old and wanted my money Now. I think I've used up my $0.13 cents a long time ago and was happy to get it back.

Wild, wild west said...

PawPaw, maybe a little bit of a hike for you but in Crowley would recommend Frosto Drive Inn, Firehouse Cafe and Kayenne Kafe or C'est Bon in Mermentau and Rabideaux's Sausage Kitchen in Iowa does a decent plate lunch....if you can get in before the lunch crowd!