US Federal BudgetIf I had a family budget like that, I'd be looking at bankruptcy, and we'd be having some huge conversations about draconian spending cuts. We damn sure wouldn't be able to get any more credit, and our credit rating would be toast.
U.S. Tax revenue: $2,170,000,000,000
Fed budget: $3,820,000,000,000
* New debt: $ 1,650,000,000,000
* National debt: $14,271,000,000,000
* Recent budget cuts: $ 38,500,000,000
Let’s now remove 8 zeros and pretend it’s a household budget:
* Annual family income: $21,700
* Money the family spent: $38,200
* New debt on the credit card: $16,500
* Outstanding balance on the credit card: $142,710
* Total budget cuts so far: $38.50
That's what our country looks like, folks. And we're worried about a fiscal cliff? Our Congress-critters should be worried about tar-and-feathers.