Saturday, November 06, 2021

Well, Damn

 Four years ago, I gave my daughter a Ruger American rifle in .308 Win.  She has deer hunted with it, and he frequent quote is, "I love my rifle."

She and her husband are out at the camp, doing a little shooting, and she texted me today that she has "blown the trigger guard off the rifle."  I doubted that initially, because one just doesn't "Blow" the trigger guard off a rifle.  So, she sent a photo:


Sure enough, that trigger guard is broken.  The Ruger American uses a one-piece, synthetic stock.  Her Husband will call Ruger next week on how to proceed.  But, my initial thought is to use a good glue or epoxy and glue it back on, at least for the rest of the season.

Anyone out there have any experience with Ruger Americans shedding their trigger guards?

5 comments:

Glypto Dropem said...

Did it whack the rest on recoil? I can't imagine it just falling off.

Sport Pilot said...

That's interesting, all plastics will break under the right circumstances and I agree, it can be glued back on for the rest of the season.

Old NFO said...

That is...odd. Never saw that particular failure by itself before.

Anonymous said...

I would also suggest contacting Ruger. At the least, they will know the composition of the plastic, so you can find the appropriate adhesive to try.
I have a Ruger American, the Predator model, in .308, and I really like it. I would never suspect the trigger guard of being a weak point...
Denis

Birdchaser said...

I've replaced a couple of plastic trigger guards from Remington 870s with old aluminum type. Maybe there is a metal replacement available. ?