Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Cartridge, Blank, M200

The US cartridge, blank, M200 is ubiquitous in Army training.  Designed to give the port pressures of standard US 5.56mm ammo, it is used in training with a blank adapter to realistically replicate the sound and function of ball ammunition.  It's very effective in familiarizing folks with the sound of an M16.

Recently, I got a heads-up that I may be asked to do some training in which it might be effective to show folks what common 5.56mm ammo sounds like, so I started casting about for a source of blank ammo.  I was somewhat surprised that Ammo To Go stocks the stuff, so I gave them a credit card number and they promptly sent me some.  It came in today.

I was mildly surprised to find that it ships in the common, brown cardboard box that was so familiar to me in the early '70s.  Same stuff I shot in basic training, in officer training, and on multiple training exercises over about 25 years of soldiering.  That old cardboard box is an old friend, I've personally probably shot a couple of pallets of the stuff over those years.

Talk about a trip down memory lane.  Now, I just have to find a blank adapter.  Amazon sells them, but I think I'll look around before I make an order.  If any of you old soldiers has one, I'll make you a good deal on it.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

If you haven't found a blank adapter drop me an email @theotherryan@yahoo.com.

I'll send you one.