Saturday, November 06, 2010

Saturday Hunting

I was in the stand before daylight and watching my pipeline. At 7:30, the feeder buzzed its morning exercise. At 8:00 I noticed movement in the deep shadows about 125 yards away. That portion of the pipeline is bordered heavily by mature timber and I can see only a width of about 30 yards across the open area. When I saw the movement I sat up in the stand and got my rifle. Through the scope I saw a doe crossing silently, quartering away. I thumbed the safety forward and took up the slack in the trigger. Before the trigger broke, she stepped into the woods on the other side. I finished my exhale and re-applied the safety.

Before I left the woods I checked my trail camera. It seems that the deer are using the feeder late in the afternoon.


So, I missed a deer, but I got to watch her though the scope. Not a bad day at all.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Better the shot not taken than a wounded deer you have to track...