Thursday, July 28, 2022

Transfer Bar or Hammer Block

 I own several Snith and Wesson revolvers with internal hammer blocks.  I own several Ruger revolvers with transfer bars.  They serve basically the same purpose; to make it safely possible to carry the revolver fully loaded with the hammer down. I also own several single action Colt clones that are decidedly unsafe when carrying six rounds in the chamber.

The NRA talks about this in this issue of Shooting Illustrated.  Lots of good information there.

I do know that Ruger changed the profile of their transfer bar several years ago, in the 513-series Ruger New Vaqueor, and it caused problem with misfires in CFDA shooting. That transfer bar caused problem in the new Ruger revolvers, and our gunsmiths were stymied a bit for a fix, but they eventually sorted it out.

I still look for the Ruger New Vaquero in the used gun cases, but if the serial number starts with 513, I tend to shy away from it, unless the price is especially good.

No comments: