Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Bodock

 Several years ago, a decade or more, I was clearing a trail on a deer lease and cut a bodock sapling that I thought had character.  So, rather than putting i in the burn pile, I dropped it in the back of the pickup truck.  When I got home, I put it in the corner of the shop and forgot about it.

Bodock, or bodark, or bois d'arc is a hard wood when dried, with a lot of toughness.  It's springy, but not very. It is tough.  It makes great canes or walking sticks, because it so light and tough.  I put it away a decade or so ago, thinking it had character and would make a ice walking stick.  It may be time to do something with that piece of wood.  It is certainly seasoned.

I'll start scraping the bark off of it during odd moments and see what it turns in to.

4 comments:

Termite said...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera

Retired Cop said...

I think that those trees also make good bows.

Old NFO said...

They do make excellent canes!

Flugelman said...

We called the bois d'arc fruits "Horse Apples" when I was a kid. Heavy, they were, you could inflict some real damage if you were so inclined.