Saturday, April 23, 2022

Back In The Day

 I was scrolling through Instapundit and saw a picture that reminded me of an old acquaintance.

We called him Skinny.  He was a short statured, black drag queen, who hung around the old Belmont Hotel in Baton Rouge.  At the time I worked as a parole officer in north Louisiana.  When we went to Baton Rouge for training or a conference, we stayed at the Belmont, which was just blocks from the State Police Barracks.


Skinny sold sex fairly cheap, according to the BRPD guys who showed up to arrest him.  He was a frequent flyer at the Baton Rouge jail.  He was such a frequent flyer that when we got to Baton Rouge and he approached us, we would just "roll the gold" (show hi the badge) and he would scamper off.

When I saw that sign, I thought about ol' Skinny.  I wonder whatever happened to him?

3 comments:

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Skinny probably died five years after you met him.

The life expectancy of street prostitutes isn't very high. Lots of bad, nasty viruses out there. Lots of nasty customers who enjoy beating the paid help. High likelihood of substance abuse issues.

Pneumonia due to aspirated vomit is a common game-ender.

Robert Orians said...

I met a guy sucking on a wine bottle when I biked down through Houston last ride . Great guy that laid out the town and guided me through the high trouble areas . He told me about the "aura" he gets when he sucks down a quart of MD 50-50 . Surrounds him and makes him feel like he is in Mommas bosom again. Prayed for him a lot over the years . Stoned wino that just wanted to help people . Loves folk more than me and I'm supposed to be a Christian .

Stuart said...

Usta have a very good gun show in the Belmont. Then the diversity broke out too many car windows.