Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Solar, Anyone

 Stephen Greene writes an article at PJMedia about the problems with solar power.  It's behind a pay wall, but we can excerpt from it.  He starts with the premise that w're hearing fro the Democrats.

With gas prices up 50% in the last year, natural gas more than double its pre-pandemic price, and electricity price hikes far outpacing the official inflation rate, Democrats argue that there’s no time like right now to switch to alternative energy sources.

That sounds all pie-n-the-sky, but it is unworkable.  Energy is not like toothpaste.  If I go to the grocers and try to buy a tube of Crest, but they are out of that brand, I can grab another brand net to it on the shelf.  It may not be what I prefer, but it will suffice.  Energy is not comparable.

If I decided today to go 'green' and trade my truck for a new Tesla, I'd wait about 14 weeks.  And, the last time I drove past the local dealerships on the main road into town, I didn't see any Tesla dealers locally.

I'm not a guy who never says never.  I remember when I thought a computer was a frivolous expenditure.  I recall saying that I didn't need a cell phone.  I have since changed my opinion on those matters, ad I agree that at some time in the future, I may drive an electric vehicle.  When the technology is right and the market forces make it an affordable alternative.  But that day ain't today.  And, it's likely not in the near future.

Green energy is not yet ready to power America.  It may be at some tie in the future, but that time is not now.

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

AND there isn't enough 'power' to power all those EVs. In our county there are THREE 'free' plugs for EVs.

Termite said...

Grid-intertie PV panels on your roof, or mounted on a rack in your yard are fine. Last for 25-40 yrs(unless major hail storm gets them), no moving parts.

Pure electric cars are much like a smaller motorcycle/scooter: fine as a second or third vehicle, for running errands, commuting to work(short range), etc.

Interestingly enough, back in 1982 GM had a concept vehicle called "The Lean Machine". I saw it in 1984 at Epcot, and as an Industrial Technology student in college, I was intrigued.

Here are some links.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2020/03/26/had-gm-produced-the-lean-machine-wed-now-be-able-to-drive-the-ultimate-self-isolation-vehicle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hquV8QB8xtk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngn7Io4HtdU

Jonathan H said...

Most plugs bow require payment to use.
Tesla used to advertise they were cheaper than gas stations in CA... Until they jacked up their fees last year.
Oh, and don't forget you need chargers with the correct plug too! The chargers in my town have 2 plugs on them, don't know how many vehicles they support.

Anonymous said...

It costs roughly the equivalent of $2.80 "per gallon" to power an electric car, not truck (those are significantly less aerodynamic). That means during Trump's time in office it was cheaper to power a gas vehicle than an electric vehicle.

The sales pitch is that electric cars are free to power. Just switch and you will never have to pay for gas again! 99% of people don't understand that you still have to pay to power that electric vehicle.