Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Regulations

I passed through Camp Beauregard yesterday.  Camp Beauregard is a post of the Louisiana National Guard in Pineville, LA.  As a retired officer I have access to post facilities.

When I approached the gate, I greeted the MPs at the gate, showed them my ID.  The Sergeant at the gate (wearing a mask) pointed a little device at my ear and took my temp.  98.4, and she waved me through.  So far, so good.

I proceeded to the post barber shop and walked to the door to find it locked.  A notice on the door told me that the barber shop was closed until the Covid has passed.

What?  When I entered the service in 1973, the very first thing the Army did to me was cut my hair.  They were serious, and it was mandatory.  During my entire career, I enforced the hair regulations.  Period.  Once a month I sat in a barber chair and complied with a regulation that made sense.  Soldiers were clipped and clean-shaven.  Shortly before my retirement in 1998, I stopped by the brber shop and got right.  It was the military thing to do.

I need to call the Post Sergeant Major and ask him what kind of pissant post he's running.  I am outraged.

2 comments:

BobF said...

Except for the Zumwalt era when the Navy went facial hair nuts, base/post barbershops were the highest priority of grooming standards. That one would be closed rather than deal with protective measures is wild. Next thing you know they won't have SOS at midnight chow. On second thought, probably no midnight chow there?

rickr said...

I relate ... I've now got the most hair on my head since boot camp in June 1977, and it's really getting annoying. (Although, really, it's like early 1963 Beatles so I should stop whining.) Drive on!