Wednesday, April 29, 2020

The Woods Holster

In Cowboy Fast Draw, we're always looking for an edge.  An edge in competition, anything to take another hundredth of your time.  And, the rules are very spectific for holsters and guns.

A year or so ago, my son cane by and dropped off a holster he had built as a woods-cruising holster.  I put it in the holster box and forgot about it.  Today, digging through dunnage, I spotted it and took it out.  Strapped it on.  It fit well.  It felt good.  I finished straightening the bench and dropped a revolver in it. 

Then I took it off and inspected it carefully for violations of CFDA rules.   I measured the cant ad all the little details.  It falls withing the rules, so I turned on the range, grabbed some ammo, and strolled to the line.


I normally shoot in the 6s, which is six-tenths of a second.  When the light came on I drew and fired.  0.713.  Not bad for a new holster.  Second shot was a miss.  Third shot was 0.573, not too shabby.  Fourth shot was 0.580.  Fifth shot was 0.620.  I cleared the revolver and put the ammo away.

This season has been a disappointment due to the covid scare.  The next scheduled shoot is in Amarillo, the first week of June.  I believe I'll shoot this holster in Texas and again in Louisiana in August.  My old Ken's holster will go in the "extra" bag for club shooters.

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Nice looking little holster.