Wednesday, August 29, 2018

The Bane Drill

An interesting article over at Shooting Illustrated.

Hangun shooting is hard, probably one of the harder skill sets   I've maintained for a long time that handgun shooting skills erode very quickly if not practiced regularly.

The Bane drill focuses on two shots, as I see it.  A body shot at 50 yards, and a head shot at 25.   There is no time limit, nor even a position requirement.  Barricade, kneeling, even prone, it's up to the shooter.

Every shooter has to know their limitations, and shooting at longer ranges with a handgun will show you the limitations of  your equipment.  The coordination between hand, sights, and gun is important, and if you find yourself struggling with trigger or sights, then maybe it is time to consider an upgrade.  Handgun shooting is about trade-offs and sometimes we make compromises that limit our options.  I understand that.  I've made compromises and know that I have limitations.

But, stretching out your handgun, getting beyond your comfort zone, and knowing your limitations is a good idea.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed. I used to every once in a while shoot my semi-automatics at what a lot would consider long range for self defense guns, just to see how far I could shoot using the sights as is. As I recall, the .45ACP automatic would place bullets 'sorta close' at 110 yards, if I placed the top of rear sight blade level with top of slide beyond. In other words, the front sight blade projected above the rear notch in its entirety.