Wednesday, August 08, 2018

The Howdah Pistol

The first time I heard about the Howdah pistol was as a mere youth, reading about sultans from India using them to hunt tiger from the backs of elephants.  These big-bore pistols were used if the tiger decided to club up the elephant and re-arrange the Sultan.  It was a last ditch weapon.

Now, it seems that Hickock 45 is reviewing a more modern Howdah.



It's modeled after something that Ithaca produced in the 1920s, the Auto and Burglary gun.  A short, light shotgun with a pistol grip, it was made in 12 and 20 gauge, and existed prior to the 34 NFA, which made sawed-off shotguns practically illegal.  Original Auto and Burglary guns are NFA items today, and pricey as hell.

The newer version, made by Pedersoli is legal because it is chambered in .45 Colt/.410 and has rifling in the barrel.  Hickock tells us that the rifling is shallow and slow, probably 1:40, which ought to do cine for most work.  It's still pricey, though at over $1,000.

Still, it's cooler than hell, and I wouldn't mind playing with one

4 comments:

Old NFO said...

I STILL want grandpa's Handi-Gun back... sigh

Ryan said...

I am waiting for somebody to make a short double barreled AOW kind of like the Shockwave. It would be pretty neat.

Anonymous said...

I think one of the movie characters in the movie THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS was carrying one of those in his belt, but I don't recall it being featured. If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend it.

You are right - too cool for school !

Anonymous said...

Not a whole lot of fun to shoot, I'm guessing. I have a Super 16 45/70 Govt. T/C Contender and it buck and roars plenty, even with factory loads. About as much fun as I can stand at my tender age of 56. :^)