Monday, August 13, 2018

At Church, Tonight

Our church is a Cowboy church.   Our ministry is leading people to Christ, but we focus on the Cowboy Way.  We do rodeo, and Cowboy Fast Draw, and our unofficial motto is: "We're going to love you and there's nothing you can do about it." 

They are a great congregation, and I love everyone who worships with us.  We worship on Monday might, because rodeo cowboys might be riding in some rodeo on Saturday night, and have trouble making it to church on Sunday, so we worship on Monday night.  The Lord doesn't care.  We keep the Sabbath in our own way, and some of us are coming home from a rodeo of a cowboy shoot on Sunday.

I've talked to our pastor, and our elders, and they're okay with me coming to services strapped.    Several o our members come to church with individual weapons.  This is post-911 America.

Someone noticed my gun this evening.  "Are you expecting trouble?"

"No," I replied.  "If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought a shotgun."

The congregant laughed, and walked away..   I love these people with all my heart.

5 comments:

Old NFO said...

Ah yes, country/cowboy folk... :-)

Old Grafton said...

"If I were EXPECTING trouble...." I'm remembering that quote for the next time I'm asked at Church about that subject....! I've told a couple worrywarts that bad folks can "HAVE the collection plate but they're NOT going to HURT ANYONE or TAKE ANYONE IN HARM'S WAY!!"

Jonathan H said...

My church quietly encourages members to carry, though I don't know anybody who open carries.
I read that crime in churches has increased 500% in the last decade, and many people are slowly starting to realize that churches are not the safe haven they used to be.
I wish the states that ban carry in churches would realize that and change it.

P.S. If I were EXPECTING trouble somewhere, I wouldn't go there without a VERY good reason!

Steve Scheiwe said...

I conceal carry at church with a used police gun in 40 cal. My permit allows me to open carry but choose concealed so as not to be a stumbling block to visitors and seekers. I sit where I can cover the main entrance and the background is usually clear. I mentioned this to my shooting buddies and they started to put me through drills simulating that situation. Those are some good friends! One of them decided to change where he and his wife sit in church. Bless you for protecting your church family and may you never be called upon to do so.

OC said...

I'm curious - what exactly is a Cowboy Church? Multiple denominations? I assume Christian. The reason I ask is because a couple years ago, not far from my home (in MN) someone converted an empty grocery store and put up a sign that says "Cowboy Church"
I've been curious ever since.

Thanks and regards,