Wednesday, August 01, 2018

The .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire - in Comments.

In comments, Anonymous asks about the .22 Winchester Rimfire Magnum.
Have you seen any 1st hand experience with the .22 Magnum ? I'm a hunter, not a LEO so have no experience of how effective the 22 Magnum is. I've seen the difference on flesh between it and the long rifle - definitely more damage. I am a confirmed fan of it.
No, friend, I have no experience whatsoever with the .22 magnum.  Although, from what I've read, heard, or seen, it's a fine cartridge.  My second son has a Henry lever rifle in .22 Magnum, and he says it's a fine shooter, when he can find ammunition for it.  (Yeah, I know, it's available online, but it is only available intermittently in the local stores).

However, several years ago I knew a City Marshal, an elected official, who carried a S&W Model  48.  He was an old-skool cop, and an elected official, and he loved that revolver, using it mainly to dispatch vermin (four-legged, furry vermin) that residents called in to complain about.  He was old-skool that way and popped many a raccoon or possum that was causing problems.

I have a cousin, who lives out west, who uses it in prairie dog towns.  He says it has a litttle more range and punch than the .22LR and he likes it a lot.

But, other than anecdotal, I have no experience with it whatsoever.  Sorry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No apology necessary sir - Thank you for the reply. The high cost of it (for me) takes it out of 'plinker' category and is used for hunting. Really useful when 'large small game) like turkey / javelina are on your menu.

Thanks again.

Flugelman said...

I used to have a seating die for 22WMR used to seat a Speer 55gr 224 bullet. We would pull the 40gr CCI bullet and seat the 55gr Speer over the existing powder charge. This load was used solely in the Thompson Contender 10" BBL for Big Bore Hunters Pistol Silhouette rams. The load was enough to reliably take down the ram with a more comfortable recoil for the taco hold. It would group around 1" at 100 yds out of the 10" barrel.