Friday, February 02, 2024

Get Creative

Talking about the Crawfish Bisque recipe, some folks have commented that crawfish are not available, or prohibitively expensive.   Get creative.  If I wanted to use fried fish, I'd just do it a little differently.

One of the basic considerations in Cajun cooking is to use what you have.  If what I had was fried fish, Here is what I'd do.

Boil some angel hair pasta. You know how to do that?  Okay.  When I was making the bisque, I'd add some more seasoning, and maybe substitute a can of Rotel (diced tomatoes and chili peppers) for one of the other cans.

So, we have the pasta, and the sauce, now fry that fish.  When the fish is golden brown, put a bed of pasta on a plate, lay that fish atop it, then ladle some sauce across the fish.  Sounds good, doesn't it?

Cajun cooking is easy.  Use what you have and put as much flavor on the plate as possible. Cajun cooking is not presumptuous, nor complicated. We in Louisiana are blessed with a myriad of seafood possibilities, but other places have other blessings.  Cajun cooking is a way to feed a crowd or a large family as cheaply as possible.  Get creative, and use what you have.  You ain't going to hurt my feelings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thank you for those tips.` I never have made a seafood specific soup before. The pasta idea above sounds fantastic - I'm a pasta person from way back.

jrg

BobF said...

Addendum to my original comment about using shrimp for the bisque:
Two friends, one Jamaican and one Ukrainian, love it!
Also, all I had available were medium shrimp so I cut the shrimp in half due to the meat density and difference in size. Adapt, adapt, adapt! Would still have preferred crawfish though. :-)

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites is clean-out-the-freezer chowder. Little bit of everything in there boiled down for hours...