Friday, February 16, 2024

Crock Pot Red Beans

This may be the easiest recipe I've ever found, and we use it fairly often.

Crock Pot Red Beans

2 lbs dried red kidney beans
2 lbs good smoked sausage
16 cups water
2 tablespoons salt

Cooking

Get out the crock pot.  Rinse your beans well.  Cut up your sausage into bite-sized pieces. Put beans, sausage, water and salt into a slow cooker.  Turn it on low, and leave it for at least 12 hours.  I put these beans on last night about 8:00 and let them go all night.  I stirred them when I was drinking coffee this morning, and they are doing fine.  It's nearly 11:00 mow.  In another half hour, I'll put on a pot of rice, and Belle will make a cornbread.

If you don't need a huge pot, this recipe is easily halved.  Bon apetit.
 

4 comments:

glasslass said...

Serendipity - Have the bean bag on the counter but was getting ready to clean and soak them. I've never put beans on without soaking so I guess I'm having bean & rice tomorrow.

Old NFO said...

Oh yeah! That's the old standby. I add a little Tabasco when I stir mine.

Termite said...

Substitute canned vegetable broth for the water, and cut back your seasoning.

Anonymous said...

I hope there was some seasoning in there somewhere. A good strong sausage can only go so far.