Thursday, April 20, 2023

First Mowing

I prepped the mower several weeks ago on a cold, clammy day.   This morning it was simply a matter of checking the oil, adding fuel, and firing it off.  I'm late this year, on April 20h.  The neighbors have been mowing for a couple of weeks.

I'm sure that the neighbors appreciate my sloth.  By comparison, I make their yards look better.  When I was in the livestock business, grass was an asset.  Now, it's a liability. It's simply something that has to be maintained.  Shorter is better. And, I don't do flowerbeds.  I consider them frivolous. When Belle and I bought this place, I promised her that I would mow the grass.  I also promised her that I would never maintain a flower bed.  That is on her.  She was okay with that, and so far, I have kept my vows.

The weather-weenies say it is supposed to rain tonight, and I knew that if I didn't get it done today, it would be another five days before the ground was dry enough to support that big Skag zero-turn I use to mow grass.  I love my zero-turn, but they will get stuck if the ground is damp.  

Mowing season is on us.  I'll continue to mow until the middle of October.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too hit the lawn for the first time this year. Have to break it up into sections, but 3 days in a row is good for me. I have a large yard and small walk-behind (36"). Go through 2 pair of sneakers a year, but I get my cardio.