Monday, April 24, 2023

Cold

 It's been a cool, pleasant weekend, but this morning it's downright chilly.  47F on my back porch, which required flannel with my morning coffee. This is the last week of April in Louisiana, and this is normally the week when we would open the pool.

I know I shouldn't complain, but this is the third East cold snap we've had this year.  Soon, the summer will be upon us.  Still, I find it disconcerting to be wearing flannel in April.  I have been told that the Gulf is warm this year, and I can only hope that these cool temps will serve to moderate the water temps to help with the hurricane season that starts in another month of so.

One day soon we will drag out the generator for its quarterly maintenance. Part of the ritual of owning a generator is that if we make sure it is well maintained, we will never actually need to use it during a storm.  I intend to comply with that ritual to placate whatever of the minor gods that supervise such things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That ain't no shit (re generator).
Left gas in mine last time I used it years ago... got it fixed up, back in the shed, never touched it. Then the power went out. Damnit... had to fiddle with the fuel the whole time!

Termite said...

"Part of the ritual of owning a generator is that if we make sure it is well maintained, we will never actually need to use it during a storm. I intend to comply with that ritual to placate whatever of the minor gods that supervise such things."

Murphy is real, and he works for the Devil.

If you are prepared, then you are no fun for Murphy; he goes and finds someone who isn't prepared.