Sunday, March 05, 2023

Sight Glass?

 I bought a tractor in January, a lightly used Kubota L3400.  We took it to my son's place where he needed to move some dirt, and I haven't even sat on it until today.  He's going to be out of town for a week, and he brought it over to my place so I could familiarize myself on it.

He had already checked all the fluids, but I wanted to learn where all the things were, so I started looking and couldn't find a dip stick for the transmission.  I found the drain plugs and fill plugs, but no dipstick.  So, I went inside and started Googling.

It has a sight glass.  Hidden under a hole in the floorboard.


Lovely.  At least it has a way to check levels.  I also note that the PTO has never been used on this tractor.  It's a 2010 model and still has the plastic shipping cover over the PTO shaft.  Of course the grease under there has hardened in the past 12 years, so I"ll have to cut that off before we can use the PTO.

It has 390 hours on the meter, so I'll dig out the book and see what a 400 hour service looks like.

2 comments:

Old NFO said...

I just hope the PTO isn't locked up...

Anonymous said...

I've got a B7800. Local kubota shop was very helpful. Printed out some diagrams for me, showed me where ____ was, and printed a copy of the maintenance schedule that now hangs on the barn wall. All at no charge (ok, I was there buying filters and fluids, so they made money off me).
Pricey stuff there, but the folks were helpful.
Beware their hydraulic fluid, made with unicorn piss or something: $181 for a 5 gal pail!