Thursday, March 23, 2023

"Uh" Problens

 Mark Novak, over at the Anvil YouTube channel, says that many gun problems are the cumulative result of "Uh Problems".  When you go into a gun, and you see a problem, then you see another problem, then later, you find another problem.  When you solve those small problems, you fix The Problem.

That's where I was this morning.  Two Colt clones that I used for CHFA shooting had a problem.  One had a loose loading gate, the other had timing issues.  I started with the loose loading gate, because I know that problem.  Take off the grip frame.  There is a slotted plug that bears on a spring, which bears on a detent, which bears on the loading gate.  Sure enough, when I took of the grip frame, the slotted plug was loose.  A quick turn of that screwdriver and I was done, but I took some time to clean and lube while I was in there.

The second revolver had timing issues.  As it came apart, I started finding problems.  Normal wear and an accumulation of grit and dirt.  I cleaned everything, inspected, and reassembled carefully.  The springs are good and the problem seems to have gone away.  This particular revolver is a Cimarron Model P with a weird internal safety that keeps the gun from firing unless the trigger is pulled.  There is a little tab on the rear of the trigger that engages a plunger on the hammer.  If this gun continues to have problems, I'll simply install a Colt hammer and trigger.  That ought to solve one of the problems.

But, it's working right now, so we will see.  Do the maintenance.

1 comment:

James said...

Humanity may not be doomed, but we are all individually doomed and I am of the age where I become more aware of that every day.