Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Lyman 17

I bought a Sharps reproduction in 2002, and got familiar with it over the course of a couple of years.  Wrote about the foibles of loading black powder here.  After a couple of years, my interest moved to other things, so the Sharps got put in the cabinet and became a safe queen.

Last weekend, younger grandson was asking questions about rifle actions, so we went to the safe and took out some samples.  I grabbed the big Sharps, and during the intervening discussion, I was holding the rifle with the barrel vertical and felt something hit the back of my hand.  The Lyman 17 globe sight had disassembled itself.

We found the sight insert and the locking sleeve and attempted to put it back together again, and found that the locking sleeve is stripped and won't hold tight.  It looks like it's time to order another Lyman 17.  The rifle came out of the box with a nice, silver blade sight, but it really needed a nice globe sight for the best accuracy, and the Lyman fit the bill.  The next time I make an otder from Brownells, I'll have them drop one in the package.

1 comment:

The Displaced Louisiana Guy said...

A cool rifle, no doubt!