Saturday, September 01, 2018

September 1st

Dawn broke cool (relatively speaking) in central Louisiana this morning.    As I type this, it's only 80 degrees outside, with a cooling breeze.  I saw a flight of teal early this morning, which is the harbinger of cooler weather.   Teal are the first migrants to come down.  They were headed toward Catahoula lake, a big mecca for migrating ducks and the fellows who chase them.

Also, while mowing grass this morning, I saw the first spider lilies.  Several years ago I found some white ones, and transplanted them along the fence line. 


The red ones under the oak tree should be coming up in another couple of weeks, which are a more reliable indicator of autumn, and it is only September 1st, so the weather might be bluffing us, but I did see teal ad spider lilies on the same day. 

No comments: