An interesting analysis, from the Cripple in Atlanta.
1. America is capitalist and greedy – yet half of the population is subsidized.The poor in America have things that the poor in other countries can only dream about. Yeah, we've got our problems, but grinding poverty isn't one of them, not in the sense of grinding poverty of most of the rest of the world. When you understand that the normal, historical, history of man over millenia is sitting in the rain, wondering where your next meal is coming from, we've got it pretty good here, in this country, in this age. Yeah, we've still got some work to do, but our capitalism has made even the poorest of us wealthier than kings of several centuries ago.
2. Half of the population is subsidized – yet they think they are victims.
3. They think they are victims – yet their representatives run the government.
4. Their representatives run the government – yet the poor keep getting poorer.
5. The poor keep getting poorer – yet they have things that people in other countries only dream about.
6. They have things that people in other countries only dream about – yet they want America to be more like those other countries.
The biggest reason that we still have grinding poverty in this country is the Democratic party, who parlays the greatest bigot in history into political heroes.